Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal


Autumn is in the air, friends. Ahhhh-tum, my favorite season of all. Such a time of cozy as we prepare for winter. A time of fun as we squeeze all we can from the remaining summer-like days. A time of beauty as the trees don their brilliant shades of gold.

And autumn is *the* time for pumpkin recipes, of course. {smile}

I want to share with you one of our favorite easy, frugal, and delicious (my whole family agrees!) plant-based breakfasts. Perfect for autumn, or any time of the year. It mixes up quickly in the pan it is baked in. There is no sugar, cooking oil, or salt to be found. *And* it tastes like pumpkin pie... I am in love!

Here is the recipe...



Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal

4 Tablespoons ground flax seeds
1/2 cup water
2 large ripe bananas
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 cups "quick" rolled oats
2 cups unsweetened almond milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).

In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seeds and the water. Set aside.

This recipe is mixed and baked in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Do these steps in the pan you will be baking the oatmeal in.
  1. Peel, then mash the bananas until no banana chunks remain.
  2. Stir the pumpkin puree into the mashed bananas.
  3. Add the flax and water mixture and stir well.
  4. Add the baking powder and cinnamon and stir well.
  5. Add the rolled oats and the almond milk. Mix everything together and spread evenly in the baking dish.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for about 30 minutes, until the oatmeal is firm and lightly brown on top.
  7. Carefully remove from the oven and set aside to cool a bit before serving.
  8. Enjoy! We like to eat it with sliced bananas and plant-based milk poured over.

Let me answer some questions I have been asked when sharing this recipe with friends ~

Should I use cooking spray on the pan? I don't, as I prefer not to for this recipe, but you surely may if it is your preference. I find the pan easy enough to wash without it, sometimes it needs a bit of a soak to soften any stuck-on oatmeal bits.

Can I add sugar? Of course, if it is your preference (but do try it without first, you may be surprised!). Add it to taste, either before or after baking.

Do I have to use quick oats? No, but it turns out best with that kind, I think. Old-fashioned oats can be chopped a bit in a blender if that kind is all you have available.

Can I substitute another kind of "milk?" Yes, every plant-based milk I have tried has worked just fine. I especially like cashew milk. I always use unsweetened.

This makes a lot... It does, but my large family always eats it up! Refrigerate leftovers if you have them, and use them within a few days.

I hope you like this recipe as much as we do! It is a great introduction to plant-based cooking, I think... or perhaps simply a tasty option for a morning when a non-vegan cook is out of eggs to bake with.

Happy Pumpkin Time of the Year to you, friends.